Sunday, October 21, 2007

Day 3: Groceries, goodbyes and slacking off.

Burglar alarms are highly effective alarm clocks. Me and Wouter managed to crawl out of bed and came to the conclusion that where ever the alarm was coming from, it definitely wasn't us. Wouter went in search of the source, and found it two doors next to us. Turned out to be a fluke of the alarm system. The guy who was renting the place managed to wake up and shut down the alarm some five minutes later. How on earth he could sleep through this was beyond me -the noise was almost deafening two apartments down the row. There was some muttering about this not being the first time the alarm decided to act on it's own. I'm looking forward to more of this...

After a failed attempt to grab some more shuteye, we planned to head to the city. Wouter wanted to hunt for some souvenirs and I was looking forward to obtaining some food and a hammock of my own. Going across town, Maikel (our taxi driver) commented that we'd better hurry -shops in the city close at 02:00 and we had about, oh, 15 minutes left. After some false positives (some stores *do* close earlier than 02:00), we found what we were looking for and raced off to Choi's.

Choi's is a supermarket which definitely is a godsent for Bakras with a yearning for food from home. Prices are somewhat high when compared to the usual supermarket here, but when you need yoghurt, pizza tonno or something as remotely out of place as Fruitontbijt, this is the place where they not only have it -but in every flavor as well. It's like an Albert Heijn where the cashiers are all Chinese.

I grabbed some vegetables, milk and white wine. The butcher store next door had a pretty wide selection of meat and cheese. Probably will come in handy in the near future. As a final act of doing groceries, I bought some vegetables and spices, so I'll actually be able to cook on my own. Definitely a place to remember.

Once we came back to the apartment, Wouter went back to packing his luggage for the trip home. With the aid of my neighbour, my spiffy new hammock (a present from Wouter -who seemed pretty intent on getting rid of his leftover SRD) was installed on the front porch. Around four, three of the interns dropped by to pick up Wouter for his trip to the airport.

Before I knew it, I was alone. I read some mail, wrote down a considerable amount of words about the days that had past and went to doing nothing. The next day there would be a cookout where the trainees would be competing. Until that time, I had time to myself and figure out what I would keep them busy with next monday...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home