Thursday, August 6, 2009

Compaq Mini 110, meet OS X

I'm a rather happy Macbook Pro user, but occasionally I get the tickles and feel like I must ...tinker. The previous Hackintosh was pretty much complete (an Intel D945GCLF2-based little monster with FW800 and eSATA -it does alarmingly well at being a simple music and web server), so I really needed something new to obsess over and tinker with until it works.

I found this:

omg

So far it has been one fundamental pain in the ass. Where video and audio were previously the focus of sinister practices, they just worked. Except that the screen is not the usual 1024x600 -it's 576 pixels high. So that gets rounded off to about 480 pixels during setup -which has two freaky side-effects:

  1. You cannot see, let alone *click* the bloody buttons that are vital to installation. You need to blindly tab your way around the GUI, press space and hope you don't screw things up.

  2. On a plus, you don't get the smug introduction to OS X because -get this- the screen is too small for the awesome bullshit!



But I never considered that not only Wireless but Wired LAN as well are in no way working right now.

I'm re-reading the third InsanelyMac thread about networking and I cannot fathom how people ever managed to get anything done. Nothing works.

1 Comments:

Blogger Taleboblen.blogspot.com said...

Hi

I was considering doing the same trick, as the compaq mini 110 is pretty cheap these days. Is there any news or progress in your Hackintosh attempt?

br

Taleboblen

August 25, 2009 at 7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home