Sunday, November 18, 2007

You don't see things like this back home

This was the first time in Surinam to wake up after noon. I tend to wake up around
05:30 most of the time, but I guess that staying in the Krasnapolsky bar for the
weekly live gig really did me in for once.

After waking up, doing some laundry and menial work in the kitchen, I sent for a cab to check out the Hermitage Mall. I've been trying to find a reasonably priced set of computer speakers (and until recently, a powerstrip), so I might as well check out the fabled (single) mall that Paramaribo had. The cabby was sure to take the most ridiculous detour available and stiffed me with a bill that ensured I'd never step in his vehicle even again. Hope the few extra bucks he made off me for once were worth it :)

The mall was pointless. Carefully constructed, obviously very high-profile yet deserted. I guess not too many people here either care or can afford the premium mall experience. I passed a Blokker, forgot to make a snapshot of this throwback to home and found a computer store which managed to disappoint the hell out of me. It carried mediocre hardware for a damn steep price. Everything was marked in US dollars and promised bleak import inflation the size of a melon -the cheapest shit in the store you'd dare call speakers, carried a 39 USD tag. Not bad for speakers that net 10 euros in Europe!

Since the Hermitage was pretty close to the plot of the Backlot's Multiplex project, I decided to go on foot and take some snaps.



As you can see, the building's pretty much going to dominate the skyline in Paramaribo. I took some snaps and decided to walk back to the apartment. Unlike what the cabby tried to present, the location of the Hermitage Mall turned out to be pretty damn closeby.

Then I got across this:



I had a pretty hard time dealing with it. It spasmed it's way across the street towards me, as if it really was heading for me. I'm not sure what the most upsetting thing was; the fact that it looked like a headless snake with a pus-like boil where the head ought to be, or the fact that C'htulhu obviously lacked a tentacle …somewhere.

If somebody can identify this bizarre organism, I'd be grateful. At that point I'd be able to voice my displeasure at meeting whatever the hell it was.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Iä! Shub-Niggurath!

I'm going with one of the thousand young, myself.

December 6, 2007 at 9:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ok. From what I can gather, and it's not much, but from what I can gather:

Ternetz's Blind Snake

Genus Liotyphlops
Species epithet ternetzii

http://www.tigr.org/reptiles/species.php?genus=Liotyphlops&species=ternetzii

Rarely seen by people. And that picture you snapped may actually be one of the few out there...

December 6, 2007 at 10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home