Monday, January 21, 2008

Well, at least it has a display!

I have received a new phone today -by accident mostly, because my colleague couldn't tell I was only half serious about wanting one. However, it turns out to be a happy mistake.

Meet the best phone in ages -the Motorola F3!
Picture of a Motorola F3

The Motorola F3 is, in short, a phone for people who do not like "smart" phones. Since I prefer to have a device that does it's intended mission to the letter rather than do a lot of unrelated things the half-assed way, it is a pretty good match.

The back story to getting my paws on it is simple and clumsy. A colleague was looking for a simple phone that would be a cheap, near-disposable phone for travel and festival use. No sense in losing your ludicrously priced super phone in the business end of a portable toilet. When he found the F3 to be a stupendously simple and cheap phone (€26), I quipped that for the money, I might as well get one too. That was taken literally, so a double order was made. However, I figured the mistake might as well be a happy one, since I could imagine a disposable phone being handy. Plus, the feature set appealed to me.

Rather than tell people what features you don't get, it's far easier to just sum up what you get. Which is to say, incredibly little. You run out of specs to sum up pretty much after "You can make phone calls with it", though I suppose SMS is considered a feat of its own. It has a furiously simple 6x2 character display and talks either Hindi or something remotely connected to the English language. I think the most advanced thing on it is the polyphonic ringtone feature which (rightfully so) is getting less love than a run-down tractor rusting in a field.

I've swapped my SIM from the Sony Ericsson W880 I carried around to see if this simple (yet surprisingly elegant) phone will do for me. To be continued…

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home